Pages

February 21, 2012

Hymn History: Does Jesus Care?

Does Jesus Care?

For two years of college, I was privileged to take piano lessons from a Godly lady named Sue Smith. She helped to shape and mold the pianist I am today more than anyone else, and I was truly blessed by her example in piano and in her walk with the Lord. I took a Hymnology class from her, and she shared this personal hymn history story with us:

“When my mother was a little girl, she attended a Methodist Church in Philadelphia, PA that was pastored by Frank E. Graeff. My mother did not remember him telling this story, but she DID remember HER mother relating this hymn story to her from their pastor.

Apparently, the Graeffs had a daughter who was a beautiful girl. She was a young lady at this time and as was the custom of the day, all girls and ladies wore floor-length dresses with many layers of lace or frills. Their homes were heated at that time with fireplaces or wood-burning stoves. One day, the daughter got too close to the fireplace, and her long skirt caught on fire. They frantically tried to save her, but the fire consumed her so rapidly, nothing could be done, and she was burned to death in the fire.

Pastor Graeff was overcome with grief, as you might imagine. As is the case with many Christians, he began to question if Jesus really cared about this tragedy that had engulfed their family. He began to write,

Does Jesus care, when I’ve said goodbye
To the dearest on earth to me?
And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks-
Is it aught to Him? Does He see?

Pastor Graeff then related that as He asked these questions and others of the Lord, he could almost hear the Lord answering audibly with a resounding voice…

‘Oh, YES, He cares! I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights derary;
I know my Saviour cares.’ "

More verses followed:

‘Does Jesus care when my heart is pained
Too deeply for mirth and song;
As the burdens press, and the cares distress,
And the way grows weary and long?’

‘Does Jesus care when my way is dark
With a nameless dread and fear?
As the daylight fades into dep night shades,
Does he care enough to be near?’

‘Does Jesus care when I’ve tried and failed
To resist some temptation strong;
When for my deep grief I find no relief,
Though my tears flow all the night long?’

‘Oh, YES, He cares! I know He cares,
His heart is touched with my grief;
When the days are weary, the long nights derary;
I know my Saviour cares.’ "



I am so thankful that we now have these words to comfort us during time of affliction, even though the author had no idea what God was going to do during his time of grief. Certainly God knows best!


0 comments:

Post a Comment